History of HNHS

     In 1873 there were 112 schoolhouses in Huntington County.  Complete consolidation of these schools into township schools was completed in 1927. Huntington County Schools were reorganized in 1964 on a countywide basis and consolidated into one high school in 1966.

     In 1966-67 the high school year began with a split campus comprised of the old Huntington Township High School building, located on the south edge of town, and the existing Huntington High School building, located in the center of town. In October 1969 high school students began occupying the not-yet-complete soon-to-be-named Huntington North High School building located at 450 MacGahan Street on the north side of town. The current building was dedicated in 1971 as Huntington North High School with its school colors as red, black, and white, and the school mascot as the Viking. The structure spanned five acres and housed tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade students.

     A gymnasium which seats 5,500 and an auditorium seating 950 people were added in 1975. Ninth grade students entered the building in 1982. Four classrooms, two science labs/classrooms, and a teachers’ workroom were added to the west side of the building in 1986. Although 30 years old, it still is referred to as the new science wing. A physical fitness complex was added in 2003. It includes a weight training facility, two classrooms, two storage rooms, a five-lane 185-meter track, and four fitness areas each the size of a basketball court. This fitness complex added approximately 60,000 square feet to the north end of the building. Huntington North High School now has approximately 9 acres under roof.

     The certified staff at HNHS includes one principal, one assistant principal, two deans of students, one athletic director, a part-time assistant athletic director, five guidance counselors, one media specialist, and 96 teachers with an average experience level of 15.6 years. The support staff consists of 9 administrative assistants, 13 special services paraprofessionals, 1 treasurer, 22 food service personnel, and 12 custodians. The instructional program consists of 242 courses throughout 14 departments. Students may choose from 13 Advanced Placement courses and/or may participate in an extensive vocational program. The school was on a Block Four schedule from the 1996-97 school year through the 2004-05 school year. It moved to a seven period day in the 2005-06 school year. The student/teacher ratio is 15.6 to 1. The enrollment at Huntington North for the 2017-2018 school year is 1,529. The student enrollment consists of just less than 10 percent of Hispanic, African American, Asian, and Native American.

     HNHS is currently aligning with HCCSC Corporation Vision, Mission, and objectives. System to System (S2S) meetings occur at multiple levels to align processes, policy, and procedures to ensure continuous improvement.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.